This cake is infused with orange juice and zest. The layers are then brushed with simple orange syrup to enhance their flavor. The silky chocolate Swiss meringue frosting perfectly complements the delicate citrus cake. Both the flavors are outstanding, and the taste is fantastic. This Chocolate Orange cake was decorated with a simple swirl of candied orange slices. It gives the cake a rustic elegance that I love. My oranges were too thick, and it wasn’t easy to use. I suggest slicing them thinner.
CHOCOLATE ORANGE CREAM CAKE
Orange Cake:2/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter (room temp)
1 1/2 cups granulated Sugar
Three large eggs (room temperature)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup milk (room temp)
One teaspoon orange zest (approx. one orange)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (approx. 1/2 of an orange
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 8″ cake rounds. Line with parchment.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and water in a large bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- Use a stand mixer fitted to the paddle attachment to beat butter until smooth. Mix in sugar and orange zest. Beat on medium-high for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce speed and add eggs slowly, incorporating fully after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Alternately, add flour mixture to milk & Orange juice, beginning with flour and ending with milk & Orange juice (3 additions of flour). After each addition, fully incorporate.
- Place the batter in prepared pans. Use a spatula to smoothen the tops.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes clean.
- Let the cakes cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then let them cool completely.
To make Candied Orange Slices:
Three medium oranges (washed and dried, then sliced into thin, even pieces)*
3 cups of water
3 cups granulated Sugar
- Combine Sugar and water in a large saucepan. Stir and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Add orange slices one by one. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until orange slices become translucent.
- Use tongs to carefully remove the cake from the pan and place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Allow to cool for 20 minutes, then transfer to a fridge to cool completely. Keep in an airtight container in your fridge, layered with wax papers, until you are ready to use.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of orange sugar syrup